Report: Arsenal 0-0 Hull City


Arsenal: Ospina, Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Flamini, Elneny, Iwobi, Campbell, Walcott, Welbeck

Subs: Macey, Bellerin, Monreak, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexis, Giroud

Arsenal face an unwanted replay at the KC Stadium after a 0-0 draw with Hull City at the Emirates this afternoon.

As expected Arsene Wenger made numerous changes to his team, handing starts to Calum Chambers, Kieran Gibbs, Mathieu Flamini, Mohamed Elneny, Alex Iwobi, Joel Campbell, Theo Walcott and Danny Welbeck. Aaron Ramsey, Petr Cech and Mesut Ozil were not included in the squad at all.

The game began in fairly quiet fashion, perhaps reflective of the early kick off, but in the 8th minute Arsenal should have had a penalty when Elneny’s shot was handled in the area by Alex Bruce, but Mike Dean played on despite appeals from the Egyptian international.

Good work from Walcott provided a chance for Welbeck to get his second goal in as many games, but his header went straight at the keeper, and when Chambers saw his darting run last weekend’s hero saw his low shot saved by Jakupović. From the resulting corner Iwobi curled a shot just wide as the Arsenal pressure mounted.

The keeper was again called into action, saving from Walcott in the 28th minute, before Mike Dean booked Harry Maguire for a dive in our box. He was followed into the book by Shaun Moloney for a foul on Walcott, and in the 40th minute by Koscielny for taking down Diomande. That flurry of booking was about the most exiting part of the latter stage of the first period and the teams went in level at the break.

There was an early chance in the second half for Walcott, his shot from a Gibbs cross was saved by Jakupović again, and after Chambers had been tackled in the box, Elneny set up Iwobi whose shot was deflected inches wide of the post.

The breakthrough almost came from a Joel Campbell free kick, the Costa Rican’s effort rebounded off the bottom of the post, replays showed the keeper got fingertips to it to prevent the goal. From the rebound Flamini fired over with his left foot. The Hull keeper kept them in it again, palming away a Welbeck effort in the 63rd minute, prompting Arsene Wenger into making his first changes with Alexis and Olivier Giroud replacing Campbell and Welbeck.

The Frenchman had a pop on goal, the save was easy for the keeper though, while at the other end Hull shot into the side netting. Alexis fired a shot about three hundred miles wide, then overhit a pass to Walcott when he should have presented him with a great crossing opportunity.

There was danger from Hull when Aluko got into good positions but on both occasions was given offside, and another quality Giroud knock-down gave Oxlade-Chamberlain a chance which he squandered, shooting wide from inside the box.

A late Alexis free kick from inside the D forced yet another save from Jakupović, and in the final seconds there was a scramble which almost came to something, but in the end a dull game ended in a dull scoreline and that means a rather unwanted reply.

Next up, Barcelona.


Leave a Reply

109 Comments on "Report: Arsenal 0-0 Hull City"

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted