Wenger to request personal hearing from FA

34
Wenger to request personal hearing from FA

Arsene Wenger says that he will request a personal hearing with the FA over the misconduct charges issued to him in the wake of last Sunday’s 2-1 win over Burnley.

The Arsenal manager was sent off by referee Jon Moss and then had a set-to with fourth official Anthony Taylor. He has until 6pm this evening to respond to the charges, and said today that he would be seeking to speak in person at his hearing.

Asked what he might say, the Frenchman said, “I don’t think I should come out with that now.

“I said what I think I had to say publicly, and overall the rest will be a bit more discrete.”

Wenger was asked if it was because there has been talk of a stadium ban, rather than a touchline ban, and he continued, “I don’t know how I will be punished if I am punished, the only thing I can say is that when I was sent off I was surprised, and I was in the tunnel because I thought I had the right to be the tunnel.

“Because the last time I was sent off wrongly, 2009, I had to go into the stands at Old Trafford, I didn’t know where to go.

“Nobody tells you what you have to do when you’re sent off, you don’t know where to go.”

Wenger had earlier said he’d be admitting the charges themselves, but clearly wants to provide his own point of view in person rather than via a letter.

“I answered it in the press conference (where he apologised),” he said.

“I’m in England for 20 years, I’ve seen a lot on the bench as you know. If I’m still in the job it’s because I’m big enough to stand up for what I do, and big enough to know when I do well and not well.”

It’s unclear when a personal hearing would be scheduled, but it’s likely to be some time next week.

Update: Our information is the hearing could take place tomorrow (Friday).

Leave a Reply

34 Comments on "Wenger to request personal hearing from FA"

avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted