Wenger: My preference is always Arsenal

60

Arsene Wenger says his preference is to stay at Arsenal at the end of the season even though rumours abound that he could be tempted by offers from abroad.

The Frenchman, who is out of contract in the summer, has made it clear he intends to keep managing at the highest level for a couple more years whether it’s at the Emirates or elsewhere.

In recent days the 67-year-old has been linked with Barcelona, whose manager Luis Enrique confirmed he’ll be leaving in July, Real Madrid and to an unnamed club in China that reportedly offered a contract worth in excess of £30 million a year.

“No [I’ve not made a decision],” Wenger told press ahead of Saturday’s game with Liverpool when asked about his future.

“I think there is no need to come back on that at the moment.”

He added: “My preference has always been the same and will remain the same. I’m not looking for jobs in other clubs or for the jobs of other people, I just focus on me getting to the next level and trying to improve.

“I think that competent managers always try to improve. They always try to see what they can do better and reinvent themselves. That’s what I try to do. That’s basically it.”

Asked about Enrique’s decision to announce his impending Nou Camp exit in the middle of the season and whether it could take its toll on the Barcelona squad, Wenger continued:

“No, not really. I believe that the players have the team targets. I don’t think it will be detrimental, it can be positive as well.”

He was slightly more tetchy when asked about the story linking him with a move to China.

“This press conference is about the game at Liverpool, not about my own future or about what I turned down or not down.”

Wenger has previously suggested he’ll make a decision on his future in March or April.

Leave a Reply

60 Comments on "Wenger: My preference is always Arsenal"

avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted