Wenger fears congestion may impinge on Arsenal departures

105

Having spoken a number of times about the need to trim his squad, Arsene Wenger didn’t sound overly positive when asked about it at his first press conference of the new Premier League season this morning.

The manager met the press ahead of Friday night’s game against Leicester (team news update here), and was pressed on potential departures.

Players like Kieran Gibbs, Lucas Perez, Carl Jenkinson, Mathieu Debuchy and others are available for transfer, but Wenger says he’s not especially confident of any immediate moves having spoken with other Premier League managers.

Asked if there was anyone on the brink of leaving, he said, “No. Even yesterday I had a manager’s meeting talking with the other managers in the other clubs.

“It looks like there’s many, many players, and at the moment it looks like there’s congestion everywhere.”

It’s likely that there will be a flurry of activity late in the transfer window as clubs make decisions they might have come to earlier in the summer. As well as that, players who are faced with a season of not playing may find offers more attractive, assuming they’re not just as happy sitting there picking up wages.

For now, however, it seems there’s little stirring in the Arsenal departure lounge.

Leave a Reply

105 Comments on "Wenger fears congestion may impinge on Arsenal departures"

avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
wpDiscuz