Report: Arsenal 1-0 West Ham (inc goal)


Arsenal: Ospina, Debuchy, Holding, Chambers, Kolasinac, Coquelin, Elneny, Willock, Welbeck, Walcott, Giroud

Subs: Macey, Sheaf, Dasilva, Nelson, The Jeff, Akpom, Nketiah

Arsenal made it through the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup with a 1-0 win over West Ham at the Emirates this evening.

It was a typically second string side from Arsene Wenger, although Sead Kolasinac playing at left back and no sign of Ainsley Maitland-Niles is, perhaps, a sign of things to come when Liverpool visit on Friday.

Danny Welbeck had the first attempt on goal in the 15th minute, but his effort deflected well wide. Giroud had a chance to take it down and did but then didn’t, followed by a Theo Walcott cross so heavy it was instantly renamed a Charlie Adam.

Then Walcott did a cross so low it was a David Bowie album, Hernandez went down like he’d been kicked in the ribs after being kicked in the ribs by Rob Holding, and Kolasinac had a 38th minute pop at goal which went a long way wide but was about the most exciting thing that had happened all game.

The Bosnian then turned provider, putting in a great cross for Walcott who had time to take a touch and a shot, but instead decided to try a diving header from 8 yards out and put it wide.

Shortly after though, Arsenal were ahead. After a long period of possession, Debuchy crossed from the right, and although he didn’t connect cleanly with the header, the ball fell to Danny Welbeck who shinned it into the net from close range. 1-0.

That was enough to give the Gunners the lead at half-time, and there were no changes from either side at the break.

Kolasinac had to defend a cross from the left after Walcott lost possession, Holding then got away with what looked like a blatant block on Hernandez, and Walcott went on a run which saw him dribble the ball out of play for a goal kick.

Coquelin tried a shot from 35 yards which, surprisingly, did not trouble the goalkeeper, while at the other end Cresswell fired a free kick wide of Ospina’s far post. Moyes then brought on Andy Carroll, because what the game was missing was a really shit man-bun, and within seconds of coming on he committed his first foul, clumping into Coquelin while he was in the air and somehow avoiding a booking.

Welbeck went down under a challenge from Hart just outside the box, replays showed contact was made inside, and the England keeper picked up a yellow card for his troubles as Arsenal got a free kick instead of a penalty.

The Gunners were forced into a 75th minute change after Giroud’s hamstring went pop, and he was replaced by Reiss Nelson.

A super run from Willock set up Walcott but he couldn’t get a shot away and his layoff to Elneny found the Egyptian but he too failed to get a strike on goal. Ben Sheaf replaced Willock in the 84th minute, before Coquelin limped off in the final minute of normal time with what looked like a groin or hamstring injury. Or both. He was replaced by Josh Dasilva.

Not much else happened, the game ended, and we find out who we play in the semi-final tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

61 Comments on "Report: Arsenal 1-0 West Ham (inc goal)"

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted