Chamakh and Gibbs back, Arshavin stays. Or does he?

Kieran Gibbs

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Marouane Chamakh and Kieran Gibbs are in the squad for tomorrow’s gamea against Sunderland.

Whether or not they start remains to be seen but the manager has to juggle a must-win Premier League fixture with the demands of a midweek Champions League trip to Milan.

“Both are in contention to be in the squad,” he said. “There is no reason anymore to keep them out. But I will have to decide that tomorrow. Chamakh is now at normal fitness and Gibbs is getting closer as well.”

And the boss is aware that this is as big a week as we’ve had all season. Although the title is gone there’s still a lot to play for in the Premier League while the two cup competitions have their own importance which rather goes without saying.

“I really do think this week is that important because we play three games in three competitions”, he said.

Wenger also confirmed the earlier story that Thierry Henry would be returning to New York Red Bulls the day after the Milan game, despite wanting to keep him for longer.

“‘I would have loved Thierry to stay for two more weeks but he has to go back. It’s only fair on New York.”

He also ruled out Andrei Arshavin leaving the club before the end of the Russian transfer window, saying, “I expect Arshavin to be here after February 24 and that is clear.”

However, Arseblog News is aware the Arshavin situation is not as clear cut as that and with the emergence of Oxlade-Chamberlain, and the imminent return of Gervinho, it’s still unlikely, but not impossible, that a transfer could take place.

Press conference quotes from the official Arsenal Twitter feed.

guest
28 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
Imp109
Imp109
8 years ago

Good to see Gibbs coming back to give us some balance to our defence and with Chamakh going away and getting some games just might boost his confidence.

I don’t know if having Henry back has been good or not, he spent the first couple of weeks out because he just isn’t fit enough and the games he has played he still looks knackered and half the man he was. But he is Henry so can’t be too harsh.

Imp109
Imp109
Reply to  Imp109

I’m taking that back about Henry, clinical when in on goal.

Runcorn Gooner
Runcorn Gooner
8 years ago

One player who looks like he is definitely not
going to stay is Bendtner.
Just noticed he is being charged for causing
criminal damage with his highly intelligent mentor,
Cattermole.
.AW will not accept that and unless he can
employ Arrys legal team to get him off
he will go the same way as Bentley ,Pennant etc

Merlin's Panini
Merlin's Panini
8 years ago

I really want Gibbs to stay fit. I can’t remember a player so constantly in and out of the side…well, maybe Diaby too. I think he could be a real quality first teamer.
If he can stay fit I can see him being the one to take Cuntley Cunt’s place in the England team.

Wyn
Wyn

I miss André Sanos.

Wyn
Wyn
Reply to  Wyn

Santos*

sJ
sJ
8 years ago

if only Chamakh had found his form at the ACN…

sdDutchGooner
sdDutchGooner
8 years ago

Unfortunately, Morocco only scored a total of 4 goals and Chamakh wasn’t responsible for any of them.

Mike Hawke
Mike Hawke
Reply to  sdDutchGooner

Actually, I think he got an assist…………yay?

Gunnerzed
Gunnerzed
8 years ago

I had chamakh as my ‘arena’ player on FIFA last year, that’s coz he was good and had a good haircut, now he just has good hair.

Merlin's Panini
Merlin's Panini
Reply to  Gunnerzed

I think you’ve been looking at someone else.

Midfield Corporal
Midfield Corporal
8 years ago

I can’t see Chamakh ever being a success as the centre of a front three, but if we varied formation to 4 4 2 occasionally I cam see him doing a job.
It would be great to see Gibbs, Vermalen, Kos and Sagna have a decent run together till the end of the season, we’d get a real chance to see what our defence is capable of.

steve chilcott
steve chilcott
8 years ago

Shitmakh sorry Charmakh is back from doing jack at the ANC the same as he does when he has his chance here, im sure he will be gone in the summer anyway, Gibbs could become a good LB but cant stay fit longer than 2 weeks im afraid its time to replace him and his sick note buddy Diaby

SmokingGunner's Mother in Law
Reply to  steve chilcott

You seem like a nice man.

Mr. G
Mr. G
8 years ago

If Park wasn’t going to leave at the end of the season, I’d have said Chamakh would be off. Feel sorry for the bloke but he’s just not going to make it with us. Even when he was on form during his first two or three months at the club, I only saw him as backup to the then-injury prone RVP.

heihaci
heihaci
8 years ago

we got Chamakh for free so I hope we can flog him to a french club this summer!

Spooner
Spooner
Reply to  heihaci

Perhaps we could just flog him every time he doesn’t score. Get the Verminator to do it, and let’s see if his form picks up as a reaction to fear.

Dave Gooner
Dave Gooner
8 years ago

Glad to see KG and MC back in the squad, but most of all I would like to see AA stay and produce some Russian captain-worthy form for us ahead of the Euros. Even with AOC and a newly confident Gerv back in the squad (nice goal, mate!!), we still need an AA at his best for the rest of the season. As to Nick, well what is there to say about him? In AW, and now MO’N he has two proper world class football managers working with him. And if he can’t produce the goods for either, then maybe… Read more »

the only sam is nelson
the only sam is nelson
Reply to  Dave Gooner

how true and how disappointing that the chances are he will be insulated from this obvious truth, either through his own ignorance or because he’s surrounded by greedy agents telling him the next move will the “the one”

Voldermort
Voldermort
8 years ago

Good to have Gibbs back, chamakh is irrelevant.

Nick
Nick
8 years ago

I think it’s gonna prove huge for the squad with Gibbs back, especially if he can stay healthy the rest of the season. The defense will only get better and then when Santos comes back we’re set. Chamakh…. so Arsene’s comments make it sound like he’s been out of shape? Was I reading that right? He wasn’t out injured so why is he now @ “Normal fitness” because he played a few games for Morocco & did nothing? There’s no excuse as to why Park isn’t playing either? Just for laughs I’d like to see a 4-4-2 with Park &… Read more »

JimboAFC
JimboAFC
8 years ago

glad to see Gibbo back… Chamakh can do one for all i care, he’s a joke

Frog
Frog
8 years ago

Imagine if we had sold all three of these twats last month and brought in a proper striker or midfielder. O to dream.

Gutbukkit Deffrolla
Gutbukkit Deffrolla
Reply to  Frog

Imagine if we had sold all three of these chaps last month and were unable to get in a proper striker or midfielder.

Frog
Frog
8 years ago

I don’t think Wed of been any worse off.

Abs
Abs
8 years ago

Before the day Cesc left Wenger said “I expect Cesc to stay”

SmokingGunner's Mother in Law

Chawakh!

totalfootball
totalfootball
8 years ago

arshavin aint getting any younger sell him before its too late.