From sources ‘close to the England camp’, the Evening Standard’s James Olley reports that Jamie Vardy is more likely to stay at Leicester than move to Arsenal.
The last week has been dominated by the story that broke last Friday, when Arsenal triggered the striker’s release clause with the Premier League champions. Initially hoping to seal a deal quickly, the Gunners were forced to wait as the 29 year old put off making a final decision until after Euro 2016.
Now, having apparently discussed it with a number of players the word is he’s closer to staying with Claudio Ranieri’s side and signing an improved contract, despite having only put pen to paper on a new deal in February.
It is anecdotal information of course, but that’s often the way these things work. Olley’s report says that Vardy is 80% likely to stay, leaving just a 20% chance of him joining Arsenal.
The delay has been seen by many as a sign the player wasn’t completely convinced by the idea of the move, and that may well prove to be the case.
We shall see. In the meantime, let’s hope behind the scenes the club are looking at other targets, because Arseblog News is aware that right now all of our striking eggs are in the Vardy basket.