Arsene Wenger has insisted that Arsenal finishing behind Sp*rs this season would not be evidence of a power-shift in North London.
It looks increasingly likely that the Gunners will end up lower in the Premier League table than their local rivals for the first time in 21 years, and for the first time in Wenger’s reign.
However, the Arsenal manager says that’s not enough evidence to say that the ‘balance of power’ has moved from the Emirates to the soon-to-be-bulldozed White Hart Lane.
“Let’s be honest,” he said. “I’ve answered that question about a shift in power over 18 consecutive years. Nothing changes in that.”
Asked if they needed to do more, he continued, “I think so. You can not say the weight of one year has the weight of twenty.”
Wenger was also asked to reflect on this being the last derby at White Hart Lane in its current form. If the journalist was expecting a trip down memory lane, they d
“I am not in a position today where the sentiment comes in too much,” he said.
“Your colleague told me I have played 50 London derbies, there are some special ones in there. I’m not in a mode to reflect on that.
“Maybe one day I will write a book about the derbies!”
The last time Sp*rs finished above Arsenal was in 1995 when they ended up 7th in the table, while the Gunners languished in 12th position.
That summer, Arsenal went out and bought Dennis Bergkamp and David Platt, finishing 5th the next season while Sp*rs slipped down to 8th.
Other things that happened in 1995
- eBay and Yahoo were founded
- The first Playstation was made available in Europe
- OJ Simpson was found innocent in his first trial after the Chewbacca defence worked
- The DVD was launched
- Blackburn Rovers won the Premier League
- Liverpool signed Stan Collymore for £8,400,000 😂
- Ted Drake died
- Calum Chambers was born
- 168 people were killed by Timothy McVeigh in the Oklahoma City bombing
- The highest grossing film of 1995 was Toy Story, followed by Die Hard with a Vengeance
- The final original Calvin and Hobbes comic strip was published
- Steve Fossett became the first person to make a solo flight across the Pacific Ocean in a hot air balloon.
- Coolio released Gangsta’s Paradise
- Top TV shows included ER, Seinfeld and Walker Texas Ranger
Since 1995, Sp*rs have won the league cup twice (1999, 2008).
Since 1995, Arsenal have won the Premier League three times, completed two doubles, gone an entire season without losing a single game, reached a Champions League final, and won 6 FA Cups.