Jack Wilshere’s future remains in serious doubt after the midfielder admitted there had been no progress between himself and the club over a contract extension.
It’s been widely reported that Arsenal have offered him a highly incentivised deal which would see him earn less in terms of his basic salary but with the potential to increase his overall take home pay through appearances and achievements.
Clearly his fitness issues have informed this offer, and last week Arsene Wenger more or less said that the club had gone as far as it was willing to go.
“The decision belongs him to, you know,” said Wenger. “At the end of the day you have to respect the decision of the player.
“Our desire is clear, is expressed, is numbered, and after that the player has to find satisfaction as well.”
However, there appears to be stalemate as Wilshere has yet to sign, and after the 2-0 win over AC Milan on Thursday night, the 26 year old was asked by James Olley of the Evening Standard if there was any news in the wake of the manager’s comments.
“Things have changed since then and all I can tell you is that we are no closer to sorting anything out,” he said.
With less than four months remaining on his current contract, it looks more and more likely that Wilshere will leave on a Bosman this summer.
Perhaps he’s waiting to see who will be in charge next season, but is also running the risk that a potential new manager might decide the Arsenal midfield needs something else.